Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reno/Tahoe Odyssey 2010

For the last few years, I've (kind of half-heartedly) been trying to find a place on a Reno'Tahoe Odyssey relay team, with no luck. It always seemed like either I couldn't get enough people interested, or spots I thought I had on other teams fell through. This year, though I was able to hook up through the Odyssey website's bulleting board with a local team that needed a runner.

My team was called "Running From The Law," and was made up mostly of people from the court system downtown and county law enforcement. There were also a few late fill-ins like myself. Here's a start line photo, complete with our "convict" outfits:

(Of course, even to get to the start line takes an incredible amount of planning. Thanks to our team captain, Alexa, who did a great job pulling it all together, and to all the other team members, who were just awesome.)

They do a staggered start for the race, but we were in one of the bigger groups at 11:00. I think there were almost 20 teams starting then. Here they go -

I was in Van Two, so after the start, we had a few hours before we had to be at the first van exchange. We had a bite to eat, picked up a couple more team members, and made our way up to Hirschdale to wait for the first van. Before too long, we were on the road.

Our decorated van:

One of the exchanges, noting the time on the team clipboard:

A nice bike path section by Lake Tahoe:

And the team at the second van exchange, near Homewood:

It started getting dark after this, and Van Two made our way to South Lake for a bite to eat and an attempt at some sleep. Before long, though, we had to get up for our second legs, which I didn't really get any pictures of. Up and over Kingsbury, down through Genoa to Carson City, and an early-morning handoff to Van One at the Wal Mart there. Then on to the Carson Nugget for a disappointing breakfast, and up to Virginia City to wait for our last section.

This is about the point that the really fast teams (which started later than we did) started passing us. Pretty cool to see them blowing by like it was nothing...

We took over in Carson City, Climbed the last couple sections to the top of Geiger, then bombed down into town. I took over near Double R, and ran along the southeast quadrant of McCarran to the river, where I handed off to our last runner and collapsed in the van. Glad to be done, we all reconvened at Idlewild Park to get in costume again and run the last bit home en masse.

We mugged for the camera a bit:

And then we pretty much split up and headed for home. After the sleepless night and all the running, I took about 4 naps that afternoon and slept well the whole of Saturday night.

Running From The Law ended up finishing 33rd out of 163 teams - a pretty good showing, I thought! That made us 10th in the Open Men's division (we didn't have quite enough girls on the team to qualify for "Mixed.") But really, it was about getting out there, getting it done, and having a good time doing it. I think we all accomplished that. Thanks, everyone, for letting me run with you. It was well worth it.


SnowLeopard said...

Dude. Next year we HAVE to get a team together! Or at least a full van and find another van to connect with. :) This looks like a blast, and I'm glad you found a team to hook up with- great costumes!

slowrunner77 said...

WAY TO GO BRO! I was just lementing the lack of running blogs this year from the people who got me going (you, Hair, & Peter) and then this. Glad you found a team...

Gretchen said...

Nice job! Looks like a fun group. Those all-night/all-day relay events are exhausting. But still, I'm with Amber. I vote you in as Team captain next year and I'll join up. :)